Monday, November 23, 2009

Fraggle Blog - Let the Water Run

A Jocelyn Stevenson episode. This one really emphasized the interconnectivity of the various worlds of Fraggle Rock, and particularly how the Fraggles and Gorgs are reliant on Doc for their water supply. I'm not sure if later episodes will show ways in which Doc is dependent on the Fraggles, but probably so.
Towards the end, I liked the long pan upward from the Fraggles' world up through Doc's floorboards. I had to rewind to catch that this was actually accomplished with two crossfades, but the effect was very convincing. In my animation, I would never have relied on the crossfades, but would instead have constructed a huge set where the camera could actually pan from one place to another. (Of course this would be pretty much impossible with puppets.) But really, does it matter? The effect with the crossfades is identical, and the only ones who would notice are those like myself who are looking specifically to see how such things are accomplished.

Oh -- and I wish Sprocket wouldn't get anywhere near his bath while holding a hair dryer!

No comments:

Post a Comment